Updating XoomBox Firmware2
All XoomBoxes are shipped with a serial bootloader installed. This
makes it a simple process to transfer firmware updates from any PC to the
XoomBox flash memory.
- A PC with a serial (RS232) port. USB ports are acceptable here
- A null modem serial cable
- A copy of AVRProg.exe. This is a free tool available from Atmel
(manufacturers of the AVR processors) and is part of the AVR Studio
download. Get it from Atmel's
download page. Once AVRStudio is installed, you will find
AVRProg in C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools\AvrProg. It is a single
file, stand alone executable which you can copy/move as you want.
- With the XoomBox powered down, insert a memory card with its write
protect tab in the protected position.
- Set the logging switch to the on position.
- Power on the XoomBox. The combination of a write protected RAM
card and the logging switch on when the power is applied cause the XoomBox
to enter the bootstrap loader. You will know this has happened
because there will be a single shift light flashing steadily.
- Start AVRProg. It will detect the XoomBox and connect
- Load the firmware (hex) file into AVRProg, and press the program
button. AVRProg will download the new firmware file and then verify
- Full documentation for using AVRProg can be found in
Home | Up | V1 Hardware | First XoomBox Delivery | XoomBox V2 | Xtra Flat Shift | GPS Receiver | XoomBox Software | Documentation | Updating Firmware | Downloads | Future Developments
This site was last updated